Tiffy Jean

I'm 18, blond haired, blue eyed girl. I live in Augusta, Maine. I'm a senior at Cony High School.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

downloading Paper

FCA's
3 reasons for opinion - 60
1 reason other side has a point - 20
Correct Spelling:Puncuation - 20

Downloading is NOT Stealing!

I believe that there is nothing wrong with downloading. Teenagers like myself who cannot afford to go out and buy every CD out there can only keep up with the times by downloading. I don't truly believe it is stealing because someone out there bought the CD in order to put it online. Also what's the difference between downloading and letting a friend barrow a CD and taping it to a cassette. Or better yet, people have been able to record off the radio forever. What's the difference?

I don't believe that downloading music is the only reason the music industry is losing money. There are other factors. Like some of the music out there right now is really bad. Ever listen to a Beyonce song? I mean how many songs do we need about her "baby boy"? What they have to do is hire someone who can actually write a song and then ask us to spend our money for it. Some artists only have one good song per CD and why would you want to spend $12- $18 for one song when you can get it for free at home on the computer. Also what about all those hard to find one-hit wonders from years past that aren't even produced anymore? Most new CDs have protection from downloading built in now so the only music you can really get is the old stuff. If you feel bad for the artists just watch "MTV's Cribs." That show does not make me feel bad about downloading a couple songs for free. They don't seem to be hurting any in the money department. I mean does Britney Spears really need that sixth house on the West coast and that 4th apartment in Times Square?

I don't know about anyone else but personally if I really like a particular band or artist I still go out anf buy the cd just so I can have the little packet of pictures and lyrics. Like this summer I went to FYE and in the used CD bins I found Billie's "Honey to the Bee" and Geri Halliwell's "Schizophonic" and I had I swear downloading my favorite songs from both of those CD's the night before because I figured I'd never find them anyway right, so I bought them. Downloading a song doesn't stop me from going out and buying a good CD if I really want it. Plus you can't always find every song online to download and you have to go out and buy the CD anyway.

I guess the fact that record companies aren't taking as many chances with new bands is a con to downloading but maybe that just means that we wont have to put up with crappy bands because the ones that do make it will be the really good ones. Some bands may not get a record deal as soon as they would have in the past but they can always upload one of their songs to Kazaa, Grookster or Morpheis (sp?) and promote it themselves. Maybe the fact that I could get arrested for downloading a song is a con but everyone does it so I'm not scared.

Downloading is just a way for people to hear more, different music then they have in the past. When we're little we're taught to share and now we're being told not to and I just don't think thats right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home